Friday 19 August, 2005

Message on Mobile







This is the message that was flashing on my mobile on the 29th of July. It reads : I appeal, not to bel(ieve) Rumour about cycl(one). The part in the brackets is what I interpreted, with able assistance from NG.

Sorry for such an incomplete writeup about the shots. This message was flashing when there was a widespread rumour about a cyclone going to hit Mumbai in a few hours time. Most people who had been affected by the heavy rains were fleeing the city, by any mode possible. This message was to calm the crowd, to avoid a major problem.

Because GN has asked me for the 2nd time, I guess I'll have to elaborate on the message. After unexpectedly heavy rains in Mumbai (Mumbai gets very heavy rains every year, but this year, on the 26th of July, we had truckloads of water pouring on us), there were widespread rumors of cyclones and what-not hitting Mumbai. This message, and loads of SMS-es were sent out by mobile service providers to stop people from taking useless tension, that could cause stampedes in the railway stations, and similar points. NG and I noticed this when we were waiting for my flight, that was more than 7 hours late that day. The reason for that was the submerging of 2 of 3 runways of the Mumbai Airport, and all the International traffic had to depart from the domestic runway, causing a huge traffic lineup on the runway.

Hope this clears the message I wanted to potray with the mobile shots!?!

1 comment:

Adventuring through Florida's WILD life! said...

OK, I give up. What does it mean?